Friday, September 23, 2011

#These Four Walls

Did you know that about 6 out of 10 Canadian families live paycheque to paycheque according to Statistics Canada?

That means about 60% of families are one or two paycheques away from living on the streets.

Which means that if something happens; a parent get's laid off, a car breaks down, bills pile up, that poor family is hooped.

Yesterday I was blessed to meet families who opened my eyes to a whole new side of homelessness.

Moms and dads and kids who were not what you picture them to be.

Some dressed to the nines, and others just in casual every day wear.

Each with a story. Each willing to share.

Most were only on the streets for a few days. Some were on the streets for an extended amount of time.

There were no stories of addictions or crime.

Just people who had hit a bump in the road.

I know how blessed I am. That I have family I can always fall back on. No matter how old I am, or where I am in the world, I know my mother would call me home before letting me live on the streets.

But not everyone is blessed like that. Not everyone can count themselves that lucky.

So do me a favor.

Take the time to realize that homelessness isn't a disease. It's not something you can catch. It's not always associated with drugs or alcohol. Sometimes it's just about a series of unfortunate events.

6 out of 10 Canadian families are living paycheque to paycheque.

Who says it won't ever be you?


No comments:

Post a Comment