Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A little bit of Jamaican culture for you...



Originally this was going to be a post about one particular event that I found to be really funny.. and then I decided it might not be as hilarious to everyone else. So instead of just telling you about a Jamaican concert experience, I figured I would just tell you about random things I have noticed in the last few weeks.

Chicken- everybody eats it, all the time. Stewed, baked, fried, curried, jerked- I have eaten chicken everyday so far except maybe 2.
Rice and Peas- they are not really peas, it is a lie! They are beans, like kidney beans I think. Everybody also eats this. I found one Jamaican who picks out the peas like I sometimes (most of the time) do. It was a bonding moment.
Oranges- you peel them with a knife. Mangos- you peel them with your teeth.
Whitie- every white person in Jamaica.
Hey Whitie, come here! - What I hear at least 10 times per day
Jamaican concert- at least 10-15 artists who all play like 6 songs each... but only 30 seconds to 1 minute of each song. Usually you hear "NEXT TRACK!" in between songs.
Jamaican boyfriend*- A large percent of all the boys that you meet want to be yours- regardless of if you are dating or married back at home.
Jamaican men in general- always want you to "come here", and they are usually across the street, sitting on some bench, or on the odd occasion in the 2nd story of some shady looking building (and it is dark outside). The upside to this is they hardly ever get up and try to follow you, so all you have to do is wave, say "hi, no I'm good" and keep walking.
Sugar - in everything. Even when you think it is just fruit juice.. there is added sugar.
Diabetes - called "sugars" Seizures - called "fits"
"Soon come" - common phrase meaning I'll be back, but you never know if they will be 5 minutes, or 5 hours.
Sweetie- Not only a cute name to affectionally call someone, but also the name for candy. For example, last week I was given a mint sweetie.

*I have a Jamaican boyfriend. His name is Tennyson, and he is 4 months old.



4 comments:

  1. I feel very intune with Jamaican culture now! Thank you haha. Sounds exciting though, wee bight jealous. Miss you!

    Loooove Mya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mama26.5.11

    I'm glad the Jamaican men don't get up and follow you. ( If you are alone and someone does follow too closely I've heard that the heel of your hand smashed up quickly against the underside of the offender's nose is quite effective.)
    Sincerely with concern,
    your mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous26.5.11

    Remember SING! Solar plexus, instep, nose, groin! Oh Miss congeniality, the lessons you've taught me.
    Also, that picture is both super cute, and hilarious. Because it looks like its feeding time :P. Don't take sweeties from strangers darlin :D
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous26.5.11

    Hahaha, yah didn't notice that till after I posted! Miss congeniality is the best movie ever.. now I want to watch it.
    O

    ReplyDelete