Tuesday, May 10, 2011

#Memoirs

I don't know how to go about this, but I feel like of everything in the history of anything happening this should be documented. At least on a website solely based on the documentation of my life.



I wish you could see. I wish you could see the impact you've had on people. The warmth you brought to peoples lives. The joy you blessed to peoples hearts. The pain, the sense of loss, the emptiness, it's being felt in so many people right now.

Daddy, you were one of the strongest, bravest, most inspiring people I know. You fought, and you fought hard, right up until your last breath. There was nothing you could have done differently. My heart yearns to hear your voice again, to feel your warmth again, to laugh, and cry, and be with you again. It breaks my heart to think of the birthdays, the grads, the weddings, the babies, you won't get the chance to witness. So watch from Heaven, celebrate with us, cheer for us, be with us.

Your suffering is gone now Daddy, and I am happy for that. But why was it that you had to suffer in the first place? Why couldn't you just be alright? Why did this have to happen to you? I don't know. I don't honestly think I'll ever know. But you taught a lot of people a lot of things. You braved the battle and fought with your whole heart.

Daddy, I am so thankful for you. You shaped me into the woman I am. You raised me, you loved me from the start. It was never a question, you just did. I am so thankful you fought as hard as you did and we had you for every day you were with us.

I admire everything about you. I still can't believe I won't ever hear your voice. Teasing, laughing, teaching. No more fingers in the mashed potatoes and an exuberant "WHAT'S THAT!" Your voices, your faces, your drive to make anyone and everyone laugh, even if it was at your expense.

You fought hard and you deserve to rest now. I love you. I miss you.

Rest in Peace Daddy.

-Riah <3

1 comment:

  1. since this is a post dedicated to him, I'm writing this to him. He's watching over you so I'm sure he'll read this.

    Terry,
    My name is Mariel. I'm one of Mariah's best friends, and although I've only met you once, I feel like I know you. Rye talks about you constantly, which isn't all that odd, except for the fact that she never ever gripes about you like 99% of her age group complain about their parents. When she talks about you, its always with this giant smile reminiscent of K, and something amazing that you did, taught, or told her. Some fantastic anecdote and suddenly you're there with us as she paints a picture of you.
    When I look at Rye, I see the amazing human being that you and your wife helped to shape. And I feel blessed. Because this kind, sweet, caring, empathic, awe inspiring individual is a product of the love and advice you gave her. I couldn't be luckier to have her in my life.
    Terry, did something incredible when you took a little girl whose mother you married, and turned her into your daughter. Made her family into yours, and yours into hers. She carries a piece of you with her every day, using the lessons you've taught her to guide her and help her as she paves her own path. I can't wait to see what she accomplishes next, but I'll be along for the ride.
    Thank you Terry. For everything you've done, the memories and moments that will live on with your family, the strength you've helped to imbue in all of them. I hope you find peace now free from mortal coils, and I know your family will band together and eventually, heal. If there is one gift you've given them beyond just being yourself, its that you taught them they can fight through anything. And finally, you can rest.

    M

    ReplyDelete