Thursday, June 2, 2011

#Get'er Done


When I was in high school I went to Bishop Carroll. I loved the people I met there, the experiences I had there, and the things I learned there thought I learned there.

I digress.

Bishop Carroll  was the worst idea for a high school ever. You sign up for classes, they give you a binder full of lessons and a textbook and say "get this back to me before June 12, because that is cut off and you have to be done everything ever by then." (I think I might do a post on Bishop Carroll. Just Bishop Carroll and the words and slang you learn from that place. You guys could live my high school experience! Thoughts?)

Giving that kind of freedom to a 16 year old is the worst thing you could do. Or the best depending on whose point of view it is. From September until the end of April I had the best time at that school. I would get there. sign in. set out some books on a desk. get coffee. come back. walk the halls. go for lunch. come back. walk the halls. gather my books. sign out. That was a day in the life. That was every day in the life. No. Joke.

Then May came around and you wanted to put a bullet up your nose and through your brain because you had one month to do 75% of your year's work. And May/June were the worst 6 weeks of your life.

Anyway, I thought I learned from that school procrastination is bad, when in fact I am currently taking 2 online courses, and have pretty much done all the work last minute. Like my paper that is due today. I haven't started it. I've found some great references to plug into it but I have not actually started the paper. It's supposed to be 8-10 pages long. And I am meeting up with K later *LOVE*. Hm. It'll get done! I could have started it on my lunch, but instead I chose to write a blog post. Oops!

Granted, I've been going through a lot of hectic

lifeiscomingatmehardiamsuffocatingwithallthisridiculousnessthatiliveeveryday.

BUT I should have learned. And if I'm honest, every assignment I've done this school year has been last minute. AND I've been doing super well, so it validates my feeling like I can do things last minute. I would have been doing this paper today regardless of if life was blowing me over or not. So I learned nothing from Bishop Carroll. I didn't even learn high school because I was cramming it all into 6 weeks. Try it and see how much you actually retian.

The morals of the story: Don't send your kids to Bishop Carroll. Writing papers last minute is how you get good grades. Hanging out with K > almost anything in life

1 comment:

  1. welcome to the life of every university student

    ReplyDelete