Friday, June 3, 2011

#Mental Health

I'll be honest, I just want to be a nurse already.

I get that the school part is kind of important but I'm just ready to be there. Now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the learny part of school. Just not the testy and papery part of it. And how long it actually takes to finish everything.

And when I sit in those classes about illness - whether it's mental, or physical illness, I diagnose myself with everything.

"Diabetics have a different perception of pain"
"Sometimes I think pain is funny and not very hurty....I'm a diabetic."

"People with dependant personality disorder have anxiety when they're alone."
"Sometimes I don't like to be alone....I have dependant personality disorder."

"Asians and caucasians have an increased risk for heart disease."
"I'm half asian and half caucasian. I have heart disease."

"Older women are susceptible to osteoporosis"
"I'm a woman, and I'm pretty much old. I have osteoporosis."

Every class. Everything is relatable to me in some way. I have everything. I probably even had testicular cancer at one point.

There is one disease I know I have. Pica.

Pica (PY-ka) - a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive or an abnormal appetite for food ingredients. (I took this from wikipedia. don't judge.)

I eat ice. All day every day. It is non-nutritive, and a food ingredient. I get drinks with ice all the time.

Like an Iced Capp from Tim Hortons. Did you know if you let your iced capp sit for long enough it separates and the ice floats to the top and the juices sink to the bottom?

Well, I wait for mine to separate. Then I pour out the coffee and chew on the ice. All the time. This is not a joke.

I also just eat ice. As if it were a snack. No big deal. Just me and my glass of ice.

The stupid thing is I'M ALWAYS COLD. Solution = stop eating ice. Problem With Solution = I can't.

Icey drinks are my favorite. Blended icey drinks make my heart happy. Ice is my kryptonite.

I also used to eat snow when I was a kid. Never yellow snow, but still. I would pick it up and eat it. All. Day. I feel like that relates to my ice fixation kind of.

I also feel like I used to eat rocks when I was really little. Maybe that was a dream but I think it was real. I'll ask my mom.

Oh well. It's not an issue, it doesn't interfere with my every day living. I'll just continue living with Pica.

I think I might also be a hypochondriac...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3.6.11

    I know a girl who has PICA! One time she tried to eat the fake snow in our VBS classroom when I was teaching her(it was cotton). Sometimes I think someone else I know has it too.. I'll have to tell you about that later hahaha. LOVE YOU! <3
    O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4.6.11

    Not a huge fan of ice. Probably because of my super sensitive teeth (watching me eat a popsicle is a painful experience for everyone involved) and just the cold, but meh. Lukewarm is good enough. But I do have a problem with chewing on pens. NOT to the point where I make it nasty and unrecognizable and covered in bitemarks, but I constantly nibble on the end. Make all the dirty jokes you want about oral fixations, it's totally true. But twin actually CONSUMES random shit like the tabs on pop cans and the plastic from remote controllers (have I told you that story? You will pee your pants I promise) so I think I'm ahead of the game on that one.
    M

    ReplyDelete